My life and adventures, travels, thoughts and random (or not so random) celebrity encounters. And music.

Monday, September 12, 2005

MFNW

I just returned yesterday from my second annual trip to Portland, Oregon for MusicFest Northwest, a showcase of local & regional acts that lasts 3 days/nights. I had SUCH a blast there - I just love that city, the people (good-looking men everywhere!), the scenery, the food, and of course the music. I did NOT want to leave.

Highlights:

  • An on-the-fly fundraising effort on Wednesday at Dante's to benefit a couple of New Orleans music industry friends, one of whom is James Hall. I have been a big fan of James Hall for years, and so was excited to learn of this benefit and had a great time. JH himself was not there, but I was treated to some great entertainment by Adam MacIntosh (I think that's his last name, and I hope I spelled it right), and also Storm and the Balls, described as lounge punk jazz fronted by a blonde vamp with a killer voice that goes from torchy to howlin' and back again without breaking a sweat. She plays there every Wed, so go if you can, and say hi to cool bartender chick Stephanie.

More James Hall (at left): because he is now homeless after Katrina, his friends at MFNW plugged him into a couple more shows, so I had the *pleasure* of seeing him perform 3 times. Each time was a different set and great fun.

  • The Friday night set at Mississippi Studios was probably my favorite, because I was hanging w/my dear friend Kay (here we are)......who had driven down from Seattle, and also the venue is intimate (ok, small) with a great vibe. I don't really know how to describe JH other than to say that he is one of the most diverse, talented, and electrifying musicians I've ever come across. I connote "pleasure" above because the name of his most recent band is Pleasure Club, featuring my friend Michael Jerome on drums. PC is currently on "indefinite hiatus", as they say, which is very sad because they are one of the best bands, period. But at least now James is touring, so do yourself a big favor and see him. Stop at nothing to see him.
  • Kay and I got to the venue on Friday early just in case. Boy, was that a good idea. We caught the set by Pat McDonald, who played ahead of JH. You may recall a hit in the 80's by Timbuk 3 called "The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades". Well, half of that act was Pat McDonald. But if knowing that gives any preconceived notions, let me put those to rest right here. It was just him and a guitar. Bleak poetry set to raw blues rock.
  • One of the biggest buzz shows at MFNW was the reunion of some grunge acts which were the shit back in the day. I was fortunate to catch a bit of Crackerbash, the entire set by Pond, and about half of Hazel (well, after all, I was there to work). One thing that struck me about the bands was that they still sound fresh and relevant, for the most part anyway. I don't know if that's how good they are, or how crappy some current music is. Probably a bit of both. (couldn't find links for Pond or Hazel...)
  • More buzz: I missed these shows, but heard folks talk a lot about hip-hop artist Jean Grae; and my bud Joel just raved about Viva Voce, so I gotta check them both out.
  • Picture disclaimer: I have this thing about taking a 'self-shot', where I extend my arm out and aim the camera towards me and my photo companion. The above shots w/Kay and Pat McD were done this way. It usually works well, but sometimes I have this look on my face like I'm about to burst.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home